Skip to main content

Me, Museum, Poetry, and Music

Our “Age of Anxiety” is, in great part,

the result of trying to do today’s job with yesterday’s tools -

with yesterday’s concepts. 

--- McLuhan, p.9    

    Even after about 50 years of the publication of The Medium is The Massage, we have not get out of from such “age of anxiety”. We are still “crossing barriers, erasing the old categories…”(McLuhan, 10) 

    It is anxious to change my academic focus from psychology to museums in the third year, and it is anxious to reconsider the nature of museums. It is always hard to cross barriers, to say goodbye to yesterdays. From today’s views, museums must be yesterday’s things. For me, a museum is more than a physical collection of artifacts, but an interactive space where thoughts, aesthetics, and emotions at different times blend and connect with the mind of visitors, constituting an inspiring journey in search of beauty and meanings in life.

    Fred Wilson's museum intervetions

Fred Wilson enlightens me to look at exhibits in a critical way, and it leads me to reconsider the meanings of the East Asian collection in Wriston Galleries, which is the project I am working on. 










    Doing research on the Buddha statue and ukiyo-e prints in Wriston

                                                                                        Eight Immortal ivory statues in Wriston



The extensionof any one sense alters 

the way we think and act -

the way we percieve the world.

--- McLuhan, p. 41

    We approach the world differently. I prefer poetry and music. One keeps me solitary, and one keeps me connected. 

    My poems know how low I can go. Some like to talk with somebody else about their feelings, while I like to talk to myself flowing out in the poems. They give me energy when I write them and make me contemplate when I read them. I enjoy reading others' poems as well, because it feels like walking into their minds to see how they perceive the world. 

 A poem I worte during the trip in Sri Lanka

    Music has the magic. What I mean here is not listening to music, but playing, singing, and performing. Once you've enjoyed playing with someone else in an ensemble, it's hard to do it alone again. Music is like a catalyst, a call to interact, to embrace, and to feel the moment . As a vocalist in a band, I have never felt more alive than when I'm doing my best to finish a song.

Filming a song video at the beach

Comments

  1. Dang, I guess the only reason I didn't really get museums is that I've never listen to someone talking about why they enjoy museums and what museums are to them.

    I feel like if I'm going to a museum in the future, before I go I'd at least spend an hour learning about the history and the stories about the museum and the exhibits, otherwise I wouldn't know shit and it'll be just like all my previous museum visits.

    "One keeps me solitary, and one keeps me connected" That's gold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you discussed one of your artistic inspirations, Fred Wilson. I also liked getting a peek into your unique creative processes for writing poetry.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Experimental Video: The Past is Never Dead

The Past is Never Dead  The idea of the video is inspired by the game series called Rusty Lake.  Logo of the game series When I read "march backwards into the future" by McLuhan, Rusty Lake was the first thing I thought of. It uses a surrealistic and symbolic narration to depict the relationship between the past, present, future and the inescapable fate. “The past is never dead. It’s not even past.”  ― William Faulkner I used this quote from Rusty Lake in the video, originally from the novel Requiem for a Nun by William Faulkner. As we move ever forward into the future, we cannot predict the future, but can only see the past. When the past becomes a memory, becomes a fact, it also becomes a destiny; and when we face the future - in fact, we face the past - we still cannot escape the shackles of fate. Water, trees, and tarot cards symbolize destiny, and although the tarot can tell fortunes, the predictions are still the reflection of the past. The scenes in the video, except

Soundscape: Different Shapes of Water

Different Shapes of Water What is your impression of water? When I say "WATER", what would you imagine? A glass of water? A river/lake? Taking a shower?       When I think of "SOUND", I was thinking about water. Water is such a common element on this planet that we need it every single day, and it easily changes its shapes. Also, it can create "MUSIC" that so naturally comforts our sensations and minds.  "The highest purpose is to have no purpose at all. This puts one in accord with nature, in her manner of operation." - John Cage Water is so common to see ans to hear that we might have barely considered it as "sound", not even possible as "music" (or we call it "ambient"). This soundscape is nothing more than my daily interactions with water in different shapes and seeks "joy and revolution" as John Cage believes.