Skip to main content

Experimental Video: The Past is Never Dead


The Past is Never Dead

 The idea of the video is inspired by the game series called Rusty Lake. 

Logo of the game series

When I read "march backwards into the future" by McLuhan, Rusty Lake was the first thing I thought of. It uses a surrealistic and symbolic narration to depict the relationship between the past, present, future and the inescapable fate.


“The past is never dead. It’s not even past.” ― William Faulkner


I used this quote from Rusty Lake in the video, originally from the novel Requiem for a Nun by William Faulkner. As we move ever forward into the future, we cannot predict the future, but can only see the past. When the past becomes a memory, becomes a fact, it also becomes a destiny; and when we face the future - in fact, we face the past - we still cannot escape the shackles of fate. Water, trees, and tarot cards symbolize destiny, and although the tarot can tell fortunes, the predictions are still the reflection of the past.


The scenes in the video, except for the eyes, are all played backwards, literally "march backwards". And the ticking sound in the background indicates the passage of time. At the end of the video, the scene of making the call is played backwards, but the audio is played forward. So, when the phone is hung up, "I" (or whoever you think it is) picks up the phone at the same time. In this moment, everything is happening again in the past, as the caller says: "Let's make some memories."



Comments

  1. WOW! This is my first film art class and working with this material. All I've got to say is this is AMAZING and I would love to learn from you. Its dark, yet captivating. The constant ticking leaves me on edge and wanting more. Beautifully done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might scare the shit outta me but I'd still wear a diaper to see "The Past is Never Dead Pt. 2"
    Great stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I just say, the tone of that film was gripping! I love it!!! The melodic ticking and the shots playing in reverse compliment each other in a such a fantastic and eerie way. I also loved reading you explanation of why you did what you did in the film. If this is the tone of Rusty Lake, then I really want to go play it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love your film. That looks soooooo cool! I think it's really wise to connect the game Rusty Lake with McLuhan's book. And your explanation about the film makes me want to try the game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really neat film, the editing rhythms pair really nicely with the content (clock ticking, etc.). The eyes look great, especially that initial track into them, and editing gives a lot of purpose to that gaze. I love the ambient windy/white noise, it adds a nice subtle brooding backdrop.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Soundscape: Different Shapes of Water

Different Shapes of Water What is your impression of water? When I say "WATER", what would you imagine? A glass of water? A river/lake? Taking a shower?       When I think of "SOUND", I was thinking about water. Water is such a common element on this planet that we need it every single day, and it easily changes its shapes. Also, it can create "MUSIC" that so naturally comforts our sensations and minds.  "The highest purpose is to have no purpose at all. This puts one in accord with nature, in her manner of operation." - John Cage Water is so common to see ans to hear that we might have barely considered it as "sound", not even possible as "music" (or we call it "ambient"). This soundscape is nothing more than my daily interactions with water in different shapes and seeks "joy and revolution" as John Cage believes. 

Me, Museum, Poetry, and Music

Our “Age of Anxiety” is, in great part, the result of trying to do today’s job with yesterday’s tools  - with yesterday’s concepts.   --- McLuhan, p.9          Even after about 50 years of the publication of The Medium is The Massage, we have not get out of from such “age of anxiety”. We are still “crossing barriers, erasing the old categories…”(McLuhan, 10)       It is anxious to change my academic focus from psychology to museums in the third year, and it is anxious to reconsider the nature of museums. It is always hard to cross barriers, to say goodbye to yesterdays. From today’s views, museums must be yesterday’s things. For me, a museum is more than a physical collection of artifacts, but an interactive space where thoughts, aesthetics, and emotions at different times blend and connect with the mind of visitors, constituting an inspiring journey in search of beauty and meanings in life.     Fred Wilson's museum intervetions Fred Wilson enlightens me to look at exhibits in a c